Monday, July 19, 2010

Bird Watch II

Sunday proved to be an interesting day as the fire trucks pulled up to the big open field where the mill is, and where the deer reside. Someone tried to put a huge fallen tree on fire. Some of the boy in the neighborhood are still playing with fire crackers so that may be how it got started. It was nice to see our volunteers out doing a great job of putting the fire out.

Meanwhile a tiny leaf from the flower was hanging by a thread and it reminded me of the poem I wrote telling of a leaf daughter Pat and I watched on a tree in a parking lot when we stopped to have some coffee. We pulled in and noticed one leaf spinning and twirling around and eventually found it was hanging by a spider's thread. This little piece of leaf was doing the same dance yesterday and it made me smile.

My neighbor Jim was overseeing his wife Laverne's efforts to do some gardening. I could hear her yelling, as he is stone deaf, and he kept talking so there was no getting his attention to wave a hello my way.


Back to the birds I talked about in yesterdays blog. Believe it or not there are a couple of birds on the pickets but I don't know how to change the lens to get a closer picture of them, just hoped you could spot one near the bush. Later on there were four more but I'm not fast enough to catch them.


Just to prove I did stand out there and wait patiently for the birds to come and feast on the special blend for the birds which I buy at our new bird store. It is quite a place, lots of wonderful garden art as well as every kind of bird seed to feed our native birds.





You can see the little glass bird house on the slat of wood between the side and back fence pickets and the bird house on the stump of the pine tree which I miss very much . . . and the little wooden dilapidated bird house behind the bushes. All waiting for company.




And here are the beginning of the flock that will sit on the wires and watch and wait until I disappear so they can swoop down and in seconds eat every bit of seed I put in the bird houses. Usually there are dozens of birds sitting on all of the wires. I think I counted twelve one day, just waiting, and watching for me to disappear. I am afraid this is the best I can do with my little camera and my effort to show you 'my birds' in the back yard. I stood out there in the sunshine getting all the vitamin D, I could absorb and I stood over the railing of the porch with camera in hand for a good hour. I was patient, and quiet and figured they would get used to seeing me there and fly down to their waiting banquet . . . but . . . only one dared venture down and when Jim's dog 'Knee-High' let out a bark or two, they took off and left me there and all I got for my troubles was these few pictures and a sun burn. I did see a few hikers dressed in their straw hats and using their walking sticks go by. They were together one minute then on opposite sides of the street the next, um . . . wonder if they had an argument. There were a lot of dog walkers and a few stopped long enough to wave when they saw me standing on my porch.
It was nice to be outside and watch my world go by, then Pat came by and picked me up for dinner at Panchos where granddaughter Erin and her friend John joined us. Later I got to see the twelve hundred pictures they took of the wedding, unbelieveable how many photographs were taken and what a job it will be for these two photographers to put a wedding book together. The bride was lovely, the groom handsome, the backyard wedding was set up for family and friends; the cake a masterpiece; the children making the usual grimaces when you are looking for only a smile and from the looks of the photographs I would say that a great time was had by all, a day to remember and hopefully they will live happily ever after.
So today, the start of your new week, think about what kind of a week you want to have . . . make a list and start with the hard things first, accomplish what you set out to do and the next thing you know it will be hump day and another weekend to go out and play in the sunshine. Take good care of you. Hugs to all.







No comments:

Post a Comment