Monday, July 5, 2010

Heat Wave

The Hungry Clam is a great place to stop and rest and have some of the delicious fish and chips, or as Marge and I ordered, fish and slaw with a hush puppy or two. It was really busy there yesterday but we managed to get in and get a table before the big onslaught. Every table was taken, although I think some of the outside tables were open. We are having our first heat wave of the season . . . 80 degrees . . . hot, hot, hot, we are not used to hot, our ocean breezes keep us pretty cool.
A senior line dance team was all dressed up and in good form as they danced to some peppy music. They were pretty good although sweltering in the hot sun. We visited the new candle shop and walked by some rock roses, never knew there was such a thing as rock roses, which have an aroma to die for. We will have to check out one f the local nursery outlets and see if they carry them. I'd like some in my yard.

Here is Marge, that red-hot mama, ready to get on that fancy bike. what a beauty, it had everything including tassels on the pedals. The owner didn't leave the keys so our fanciful desire to ride around the port on this bike had to be postponed until we get an invitation. . . well, wishful thinking, it could happen but I have to admit my riding days are over as I had one ride with my son Michael when he bought his first bike and gave me a ride. I think his first words, if I remember, "Mom, it's okay to let go now, I need my stomach back." I didn't think I hugged that tight.


the seagull sat there while we took the picture We talked to it, made little whistling noises and it just kept tilting its head and responding by sitting there preening and allowed us to get a close look at it. It had a lot of gray feathers so that I think is a young one. I don't think the adult bird would let us get that close.



Over at Kite Field there was this new climbing pole. I hadn't seen one before. For five dollars you could climb the pole . . . are you kidding . . . I would waste my five dollars as I wouldn't be able to bend my knees into a climbing position I am lucky I can still hobble around. Well, it did look like fun and a few of the youngsters climbed without a problem, in fact they made it look easy.




The automobile show was new this year and there had to be at least a dozen beautiful very old cars. This picture is of the trunk of one of them. Look at the size of it. Does the trunk of your look this neat and tidy, mine never did.





Marge found her true love, a 1931 purple car with a rumble seat. How she would love to toodle around town in that. She can drive, I'll get in the rumble seat and wave as I go by.



So today, the day after the Fourth of July, I hope you are all sated with the food, the music, the community events and those noisy fireworks that were so beautiful as they reached for the moon. I could see the smoke and a little color from my back porch, and even a reflection of a few from my neighbor's windows. I hope, if you were not out and about, that you watched the big fire works display on TV as they showed different displays all over our country. I loved the sing along and enjoyed the last barrage and hope you did too. Now back to our routine of living until the next holiday when we can kick up our heels and celebrate, but don't wait long, celebrate today and make it a good one. Hugs to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment