Saturday, July 3, 2010

A bit of humor





It is a good thing we can laugh at ourselves, otherwise we would spend a lot of time crying. It is amazing how our bodies change from infancy to our senior years. Well, as one friend said, "it beats the alternative" and if we have all of our parts and the use of our brain as we inch along, then we have nothing to complain about. I think we finally reach the age of reason, about eighty, when one feels twenty, and nothing can make you feel bad about your shape unless you allow it. If you look at a picture of your grandmother or even a great granny, you will find that your own mother took after one of them and now you take after your mother in size and shape, but it is okay as we have so much more to love.
Now, for the kitten in the towels, it brought back memories of a cat I owned so many years ago who loved to have her babies in the linen closet. As her time got closer she hunted for a safe place to give birth and the linen closet seemed to call her. One morning I went to the linen closet to find the towels on the floor and there she lay with her babies in tow. It was such fun to watch the kitties grow and then find homes for them. She was. like Joseph's coat, in the bible story, a cat of many colors. I used to be able to tell you the name, but right this minute it is locked in the brain. Aha . . . calico! Well that didn't take long. She was a beauty and had thick fur almost like angora and her babies were beautiful. Finding homes for them was easy as they were much too beautiful not to love. My boss, at the time, took an all black kitten and a year later brought it for a visit. It was unbelievable to see how big she had grown, but more than that she had been groomed every day and she was a 'show' cat. She would have won ribbons without a doubt.
So today, the start of your holiday weekend, be careful of the fireworks if you are shooting them off by yourself . . . remember they can cause a burn or two; maybe you should stick to sparklers. I remember them and how much fun we had making patterns in the air as they shot off tiny hot cinders. I remember the Chinese fire crackers, tiny and red, which irrupted in noisy confusion and seem to jump in the air. I'm going out and water my gardens today just in case a spark flies this way. Take good care of YOU, and create a day of fun and laughter. Don't forget it is Saturday . . . beans and hot dogs and hot apple pie . . . if I am going to bake one then I had better have my coffee first and see if I have enough apples. If I knew you were coming I'd save you a piece. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment