Friday, May 21, 2010

Sight Seeing











Thursday is a good day when you have sight seeing to do and that is exactly what we did yesterday when the sun came out early in the day and stayed out; nothing short of a miracle as this morning I opened the blinds to pouring rain. Daughter Patricia and I found that Whales Head restaurant has the best clam chowder around so in knowing this I knew just where we were to go to have out lunch. The huge white clouds passed over with a few gray ones in between and one caught my eye as it looked like that little pac-man hustling around gobbling everything up. Gobbling the dark clouds was fine as we got to see the thunder heads whirling about. The road was an adventure in itself as it needs resurfacing badly. The road 'fathers' should be doing something about this particular road as it leads down on to the beach and the river where the huge whale rocks are located. The road is narrow and winding and full of huge pot holes. Let me say that you 'mince' your way down, driving normally would get you in big trouble. We made it to the parking lot and met a lovely couple from San Jose sight seeing with their little dog who was sixteen years old, a cutie and loved to be petted. They warned us the pathway to the water was treacherous as the rain had left the sloping mud path slippery. We didn't make it down to the water but we stopped where there was a field full of bright yellow buttercups. I had to smile when the lady picked one up and held it to her husband's chin. I asked if she remembered the little ditty we used to sing as children but she didn't remember it either. If any of you who are reading my blog knows it, please e mail me and let me know the words (j.m.sullivan@juno.com).
Paula and I went up to Gold Beach seeing we couldn't get down to the water at Whaleshead and took pictures of the old derelict boat that is covered in moss which makes it look like it was painted green. We checked out the gift store and meandered over to the thrift shop and then back to Whaleshead for our lunch. The chowder was just as delicious as the last time, and the time before, and the fish and chips were cooked to perfection. I miss daughter Pat, my constant companion and all around sweetheart of a daughter. I can hardly wait to tell her that one of her yard sale items I confiscated because I thought it was something I couldn't live without and there on the shelf was a piece, twice as big, with a price tag of $129.99, same artist, same clay, same subject with a variance but we had a treasure and didn't know it. I wonder what this smaller piece is worth? Made my day!
So if you get a chance to get out there and sight see, keep your eye open and see if you can find a treasure. Make sure you stop off and have some clam chowder and fish and chips . . . or a Big Mac, but enjoy the day, today, it's a brand new one waiting to be filled with the joy of living. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment