Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sylvia's Attic




The rain is back for most of the day, every day this week, with the exception of an hour of sunshine which makes me want to rush outside and absorb the vitamin D that is so necessary for our mental outlook. Of course a Hershey Special Dark Chocolate bar or a box of the delightful morsels can put you in a good mood. Paula and I rode down to Sporthaven and watched the wild waves come in as they showed off their powerful motions creating havoc at the bar and no fishing boats dared go out to sea. The gulls were huddled over in the open fields and the few that managed to fly about were not flying but gliding in the currents. Sights to see but not a 'camera' day.


We had been to Sylvia's Attic the day before which is located over in Crescent City. Sylvia has discovered books and the shop that once was filled with antiques and many yard sale treasures is now a treasure trove of books of every kind. They are in book cases in the front of the store, then on tables and now in and amongst the bric a brac crowding out all of the beautiful glass ware. I noticed a new table of figurines now that I no longer collect them. Did I ever tell you that story? My daughter Christine used to, and for that matter still does love to read, and during her high school years Georgette Hyer was one of her favorite authors. She wrote about English history in the eighteen hundreds so when I saw some beautiful figurines depicting the lords and ladies of the time, I bought them to give to my daughter . . . well, that was my intention. When she visited I showed her the figurines and she reacted with a bored 'nice' and no enthusiasm and I found out why. . . she collects dragons!!!! At our last yard sale boxes of figurines went to the highest bidder. I learned a lesson though . . . so I'm sticking to my books and laughing as my daughter waltzed in the door with a lovely little figurine lamp for MY collection.
So today, rain or shine, check out the antique stores and the thrift shops and see if you can find something no one wants. It is fun and you will be amazed at what you can find. Friend Paula found twelve paper back books she had not read and we went right to the Post Office to get one of their new boxes and ship them back to her home in Arkansas. She now has enough reading material to satisfy her lust for words and is very happy as 'back home' the books sell for half the original cost of the book and no trades unless they are in pristine condition. Here we are spoiled as we pick up used paper backs for a quarter or fifty cents at most. Find time to fill your cup with your most favorite drink, a cozy nook and cuddle up with a good book. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment