Thursday, June 3, 2010

Garden Club


I was hoping the picture would show off the beautiful float that our local Garden Club members created. Every year they get together and donate time and energy under the leadership of Barbara Edmiston a very talented and lovely lady. Year after year they win first prize and it is no wonder. The theme this year was "Beauty and the Beach" and Barbara came up with two huge sea horses, and a clam shell with a pearl that was beautiful. The sand castle was a work of art and the flowers were gorgeous, truly a lovely piece of art on a moving truck bed pulled by a tractor. The volunteer group of members walked along in the sunshine, yes, Memorial Day we actually saw the sun and had one of the most promising warm days so far this season. Of course it was just the one day as we have fallen back into the rain pattern and I had to turn my house heat back on.
Brookings people have much to be thankful for as the Garden Club members volunteer their time, their energy, their pride in their community by actively participating in making Brookings a beautiful place to live. They have worked for years in beautification. They are responsible for the huge garden as you enter Brookings and keep up dozens of other areas planting bushes, trees and flowering plants where ever they find the need. Each year they have a sale of the plants they grow in their own back yards and we flock to buy the healthy and hardy plants., and every dime is turned back into the community. Good folks with hearts of gold with a love for gardening and for their town. We are so lucky to have them and I thought you might like to learn a little about them.
So I hope today you look around your town and see what your Garden Club does for you. Who knows . . . you may be a member and enjoying the fruits of your labors. I have purple thumbs so cannot grow much of anything and to prove it I removed some beautiful grass in front of my house and made rocks with two huge mounds covered with ground cover, grasses and a beautiful rose of sharon that I dearly love. Of course I had no idea the Oregon weeds were strong enough to go through the heavy plastic covering and now I have a rock garden filled with dandy lions and a few weeds I do not know the name of. I can't rake them. I can't even pull them as my days of stooping and bending are over and that "I can't get up" has a lot more meaning these days. So after the fact, I now know that I should have put cement all over the place and had a garden box built to house a tiny bush or two which I could water by hand. I'd hate it . . . but live and learn, next time the grass stays and I hire someone to mow it. Chon comes to trim my huge hedge but does not like to weed and I really cannot blame him, it is not one of my favorite jobs either.
How did it get to be Thursday the first week in June; the month just started . . . time flies much too quickly so you had better wake up early and go out there and get your work done with a smile and a cup of coffee in one hand and a big fat jelly donut in the other. Must be time to put my coffee on . . . have some fun today, do something dumb so you can laugh at yourself, it's good for your inner spirit. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment