Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Neighbor

Jo Stafford singing "You Belong To Me"; the words "see the market place in old Algiers" comes to mind when I look at this picture. I was looking up some information on the computer about Tripoli and Libya as my neighbor stopped by with two pieces of what she called 'bread' but I am positive it was more cake than bread and delicious.

I found this picture of Tripoli and if I am correct that is part of the Mediterranean ocean which my neighbor Lisa was telling me about. She said the blue of the water and the sky were the same and she got to swim every day as the weather is perfect all year round. I asked her to tell me a little about herself as she is alone and I find she has been a widow for over thirty years. She takes pride in telling you that she has worked all of her life and still does although she admits to slowing down now that she has reached the ripe old age of seventy three.
Lisa is about five foot four and has a different colorful outfit to wear every day as she walks out about town. She takes two walks a day to keep her blood pressure under control. She tells me she walks to the library twice a week, to the markets and to one hospice patient she visits for two hours each day. She likes to be busy. I asked her where she came from originally as she has a heavy accent I could not place, and she told me of a place called "Little Italy" in Tripoli/Libya. As she talked, I wrote down her words so I can type them up and she can send them on to her grandchildren. Her story is 'a tale to be told' from the history of her county which dates back over two thousand years to World War II when her country was 'invaded' by the English and the Americans. It was really something different to hear what it was like to be on that side of the fence. Lisa married an American from Minnesota and traveled the path of being a 'war bride' but she says "No, a Peace bride." I'm hoping I will have more tea parties with Lisa and hear more of her life story.
So today, when you are out and about, stop and talk with one of your neighbors. You may be surprised to learn that he or she has a tale to tell and one you will be more than interested in hearing. You might even share a tale or two of your own. I'm listening. Make today a good day after 'hump' day; how did it get here so fast? What happened to Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday of this week? Already gone. Know that time is fleeting, so make good use of it. Hugs to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment