Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Walk around the front yard











The shot over the bush across my neighbor La Verne's yard to the new apparition that is taking place is not very clear as I have not gathered my courage to walk up and take a straight shot of the front yard which is now in progress of becoming Noah's Ark. If you see the round white object it is the top part of a cylindrical object that stands about three feet high and is about as wide, at least a dozen of them and all in bright colors. The mystery unfolds and I'll try and get some courage to snap a shot or two. I wonder if they have a building permit?
The tiny pink flowers are from ground cover and really are taking over the side garden. It has been a long time in coming but eventually I hope it grows and covers more and more of the area so the weeds are pushed away, although that is wishful thinking as the weeds do a remarkable job of growing up in between the flowers.
I haven't seen a tall spike of a new growth in the palm fronds in my own yard. This shot is one taken over the hedge into LaVerne's yard. She has two of these palms and they must have been planted many years ago to have such growth. The ones in my yard are small and have a long way to go.
The piece of resistance is my Rose of Sharon bush which is very tall and round this year, loaded with a deep pink blossom that dances in the wind and is awesome to watch. and Irish tunes come to mind. I noticed a second rose of Sharon is coming up next to it but has a long way to go before it reaches the same height and width. I think the little one is white blossoms.
The grasses are just beginning to grow. I cut them back every year so it takes them awhile to grow and show their beauty. There are certain plants that are in sinc with the wind and the grasses are one of them. They do not have flowers or any special color to them, just a long blade of grass, thick and long that catches the wind and becomes alive in a beauty all its own. The garden as you know needs lots of attention and I have my days when I feel sad that I cannot get out there and give it the care it needs. Walking on rocky terrain is for the young, so is bending and stooping. Where did the years go and when did they take away my youthful exuberance to help nature along? My fetish for neatness needed to be tamed, but this year the rain, the birds and the wind have added seedlings to my yard that defy the imagination. If I let the weeds grow I would have berry bushes and believe it or not a very colorful weed garden because they do have lots of different colors peeking out of all that spiky greenery. Nature is a wondrous show, wish I had paid more attention to Pa who had the natural born hands and heart of a gardener.
So today, go outside and look around your yard. Check it out for snakes and snails and see what the birds of brought. I have saucers of beer out there for the snails, which are plentiful this year, in hopes they will jump right in and get lost in a sea of foam. Buy some bird seed and feed the little red and green headed budgie birds which are so playful and fun to watch. I have been looking for the butterflies but none so far this year, but then with all the rain they may be late in coming. Don't forget a hummingbird feeder so you can watch one of nature's most beautiful little creatures. It's mid week, time to jump over the hump and know that in another two days you will be able to sleep in longer and spend a little time in your own back yard. Make today a day to be a nature child and take time to smell the roses. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment